Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna





Let's be honest.  I do not love vegetables.  I like them, and I cook with them all the time, but I do not love them.  I have slowly developed an appreciation for vegetables as my pallet has matured, but it has been an arduous journey.  I blame this on my mom and her lack of veggie use in my formative years (sorry, Mom - in you're defense, I know you cook all sorts of veggies now).  I grew up in a family where "vegetables" meant frozen peas or corn.  Oh, and the occasional broccoli spear covered in a creamy cheesey sauce on "chicken and broccoli" night.

Because of this lifestyle handicap, I am overjoyed when I find a recipe that is vegetarian and delicious.  Lucky for all of us, I am going to share one of those recipes today.  This roasted vegetable lasagna is jam-packed with mounds of amazing veggies, but your kids will still eat it because it's lasagna. (And, okay, if I'm being honest, it does have cheese so that's not as healthy, but there really are A LOT of veggies so I think it kind of still counts as healthy, right?)  Thanks to my beautiful, vegetarian, food-loving friend, Cortney, for introducing me to this yummy dish.  Ready?  Set?  Let's cook.

First step, preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Then, chop up all of your amazing vegetables, and throw them into a bowl with the salt and olive oil.  Next, coat your baking sheet (make it a big one or use two), with foil and cooking spray and spread out your veggies.  Roast for 30 minutes.


Meanwhile, mix up these tasty ingredients ...



... in a big bowl ....



... until it looks like this.

Mmmmmm

Once that's done, you can start your layering process.


(Can you see my mistake?  Haha!  I'm not telling.)



Once you're all layered up, it's time to bake for 30 min.  This is what I did while mine was baking ...

(I picked up my daughter, Bella, from her riding lesson.  Isn't she cute?)

Then, you should have something looking like this ...


Success.  Lots and lots and lots of vegetables that taste oh so good!  

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

Makes 12 servings

Ingredients

·       1 lb plum tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
·       1 sliced onion
·       3-4 garlic cloves diced
·       1 lb zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch slices
·       1 lb yellow squash, cut in 1/4-inch slices
·       2 red bell peppers, cut in 1-inch strips
·       2 green bell peppers, cut in 1-inch strips
·       1/2 lb mushroom caps, cut in 1/4-inch slices
·       1 tsp salt
·       1 tbsp olive oil
·       Vegetable-oil cooking spray
·       1 egg white, lightly beaten
·       2 containers (15 oz each) "lite" ricotta
·       2 tbsp bottled pesto sauce
·       1/3cup grated Parmesan
·       3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes (drained)
·       12 oven-ready lasagna noodles (1 package)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 475°F. Toss plum tomatoes, onions, garlic, zucchini, squash, peppers, mushrooms, salt, and oil in a bowl. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and place vegetables on it; roast 30 minutes.
In a bowl, mix egg white, ricotta, pesto, and Parmesan.
Coat a 9" x 12" baking pan with cooking spray. Spread 1 can tomatoes on the bottom. Top with 3 noodles. Spoon 1 1/4 cups ricotta mix over noodles, then a layer of 3 cups vegetables, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat this layer, starting with tomatoes. Add final can tomatoes, three noodles, remaining ricotta mix and vegetables. Top lasagna with last 3 noodles and 1 cup mozzarella. Cover with foil (uncover last 10-15 minutes to brown crust) Bake 30 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. I think I've got most of the ingredients that I'm going to make this this week. So you just roast your mushrooms with the other veggies too? This looks like a wonderful way to use up all of the summer/fall veggies when you can't think of one more way to prepare them. Looks delicious Deb!
    -Jessica
    P.S. In your Mom's defense... I loved chicken and broccoli bake night at your house! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I loved it too! Yep, you roast all the veggies together. You'll love it! Let me know how it turns out.

      Deb

      Delete