Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Brown Sugar Muffins

Let's talk about my mom.  She's pretty much the most amazing woman in the world.  She did many wonderful things for me growing up, but one of her most selfless acts was that of preparing breakfast for all 6 of us every morning (I say selfless because I am now a mother of three and I hate the morning rush).  When I was in high school and had to be at dance practice at 6:00 am, she would wake up at 5:00 am and make me pancakes.  See what I mean?  Selfless.

In addition to pancakes, she would also make muffins every Sunday morning, filling the house with the delicious and warm aroma that only comes from baked goods.  My absolute favorite type of muffin she would bake was the Brown Sugar Muffin.  Can't you just feel the warmth in the name?  So, in tribute to my mother, here is the recipe for Brown Sugar Muffins.  May it become tradition in your home too.  :)


This is what you'll need ...


Begin by creaming together the shortening, sugar, and egg. (Take note: I never said these were healthy.  Also, the name is kind of a dead give away.)


Then add half the flour, and all of your soda and salt.  Once that's combined, add half your milk.


Keep on mixing.  Then do it again.  Flour, blend, milk, blend.  Once you're done combing the milk and flour into your mixture, add the vanilla.  



Mix it up some more ...


Then spoon your batter into a greased (or lined) muffin tin until each cup is about 2/3 full. 


You'll have some leftover.  Let me show you what I like to do with my extra batter ...

Yep.  That's gonna be my muffin.  :)

Now bake for about 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


Ta Da!  Good morning, Sunday. You just got a little bit better.


And now I'm happy.


Brown Sugar Muffins

Ingredients:

½ C. shortening
1 C. brown sugar
1 egg
2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 C. milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425° F.  Prepare muffin tin by spraying lightly with cooking spray, or lining with cupcake liners.  Cream together shortening, sugar, and egg.  Next, add 1 C. flour, soda, and salt.  Mix together.  Then, add ½ C. milk and beat into mixture.  Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, combining until smooth.  Beat in vanilla.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins until cups are about 2/3 full.  Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment