Sunday, March 8, 2009

Beef Stew


So, here is my first crock pot recipe that I will post.  Yes, that's right.  I, like any other self-respecting American housewife, cook with a crock pot.  My husband even bought me an All Clad giant crock pot for our anniversary and I loved it!  It got a bigger reaction than even the diamond necklace or Le Perla lingerie (although, those were nice too).  What can I say?  Cooking gets me excited.  Anyway, back to dinner.

I like to think of this recipe as Sunday dinner in a bowl.  It's a spin on the classic pot roast, potatoes, carrots meal we all grew up with.  It's quick prep time makes it even better, though.  I combined an old recipe of my mom's with a few twists I threw in so, hopefully, you will find it a delicious alternative to the Sunday classic.

Ingredients:
2.5 lbs. beef (cut for stew)
2 cups baby carrots
6-8 red potatoes, quartered
15 cioppino onions (may also use boiler onions)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
2.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
several sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper
olive oil and flour (for browning meat)

In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil and boil the onions for two minutes.  Drain the onions, and remove the skins by chopping the end off the onion and pinching the inner onion out into the crock pot.  Next, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Salt and pepper meat and lightly dust with flour.  Place meat into skillet and quickly brown the edges, promptly removing the meat and placing into crock pot.  Add remaining ingredients to the pot and stir together.  Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.  Serve with homemade biscuits.  Serves 5-6.

4 comments:

  1. Deborah,

    I don't own a crock pot. Do you think I could cook the meal in a traditional pot on high for 4 hours?

    Thanks,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom doesn't use a crock pot either. Instead, she boils her liquids first on the stove top then turns off the heat, adds the remaining ingredients, and puts it all in the oven at 325 degrees for 4 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this and it turned out wonderful, except it was not that thick compared to the photo shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great blog deb. I will visit often...when I start cooking again. I still gag at the sight of raw meat :( I really miss it though.

    ReplyDelete